The Only Way, Truth and Life


I was working today at my kitchen table, logging in and out of tabs on my laptop...because I am always doing twenty things at once. Something in the news feed that caught my eye, Beth Chapman died.  Beth is Duan "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Chapman's wife. I don't know about you, but I can say back in the day I have watched some of their shows. Beth died today. She had throat and lung cancer, and sadly, she lost her battle.  I believe she was a believer, so she is with Jesus.  Amen!

Cancer sucks.  Having my dad die of cancer, I can confidently tell you cancer sucks!

I felt my heart sink when I read that news, not because I knew Beth personally, obviously I didn't.  But because I had such a deep understanding in that moment, when I read that headline, that life is short.  It didn't touch me at a level where I feared for my life, but rather I felt such a strong sense of how critical it is to let go of this life and truly live for Jesus.  Like....REALLY do this!

Life. Is. So. Short.  I literally felt sick to my stomach, still do actually, thinking of people living today who don't know Jesus.  And the urgency of that hit me at such a guttural level I still physically feel sick.  It's urgent.  It's urgent we go to the nations and tell people about Jesus. (Matthew 28:19)  It's urgent we go, from Africa to our neighborhood, and tell people about Jesus and share His love.  This is serious.  There are people dying and they don't know Christ.  There are people living who don't know the Savior of our world, or worse yet, reject Him.  I don't say this to shame anyone or make anyone feel bad, but I just know His love and freedom and want EVERYONE to know His love and freedom.  It's a love and freedom that when everything else is falling apart, you know you are still tethered to the One who is Faithful and True. (Revelation 19:11)  He is an unshakable anchor! (Hebrews 6:19) If someone asked me to give them the most depressing thought I can think of, it would be living this life without Jesus.  I truly cannot think of anything more sad if I tried.  Well, maybe I'm exaggerating, because dying without Jesus is the most sad thing that comes to mind.

But living without Jesus!!  Today?!  How in the world could I possibly do that?  How would I survive day in and day out!  Surely there is no way.  Where would my hope lie?  Do you read the news on the daily?  Do you see what's going on in our world?  I won't go into my life right now, but I can assure you if I didn't have Jesus and the hope He brings, I would not be here right now.  And that's the truth. Just the last ten years of my life was enough to take me out, let alone many more years in addition to that. There is no explanation for the healing, peace and freedom in my life other than the grace of the One True Living God.  There is nothing or no one that could convince me otherwise!  I have seen Him and His power personally in my life.  I have felt Him as close as my breath.  There's nothing better than when you've tasted and seen that He is good. (Psalm 34:8)   

How can there be a way without Jesus when He is the only Way, Truth and Life. (John 14:6)

Just this morning I was reminded of this as I went through a Lectio Divina.

It was on Luke 9:57-62.

"As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." He said to another man, "Follow me." But he replied, "LORD, first let me go and bury my father." Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Still another said, "I will follow you, LORD; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family." Jesus replied, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." 

Your first thought may be...well those aren't warm and chipper verses to share.  Oh, but they are! There's freedom in these verses.  When we truly let go of this "life" and follow Him, True life comes.  I am not suggesting this happens over night.  At least it hasn't for me.  :)  Honestly, the past several months the Lord has been pulling back layers in my I didn't even know I had.  It's been hard to say the least.  Excruciating actually.  But I know there's always beauty wrapped in the ugly.  So I wait on the Lord.  I want to follow Him above all else.  I can't do that if I am looking behind or to the left or right.  I must stay focused on Jesus; keep my hand on the plow and keep my eyes set on His eyes.

I can say over the past several months I have increasingly felt the Lord asking me to let go of the things of this life, to let go of the things that appear "normal" or the status quo.  And just when I thought I've let go, He shows me the places I am gripping for dear life. It has challenged me to the point where I am sure I won't make it out without a limp.  I am pretty sure I already have a limp.  My prayer is that my limp along with my ability to run the race set before me is a testimony of who He is and who I am in Him!  That's my prayer for you.  I pray you find freedom in His sacrifice.  Freedom comes with a cost.  It cost Jesus His life.  We cry out to Him in the dark places, He comes in, and then we lay our lives down before Him.  Not easy, but there's nothing better.  Jesus is better than anything this world has to offer.      

If you want to hear about Jesus and what He has done in my life and what I am positive He can do in your life, just ask.  Here's the best news of the day, you don't have to live without Jesus one more second.  He loves you. If you would like prayer, let me know, and I promise I will pray for you.

Psalm 130

A song of ascents.

"Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord;
Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
to my cry for mercy.
If you, Lord, kept a record of sins,
Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness,
so that we can, with reverence, serve you.
I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits,
and in his word I put my hope.
I wait for the Lord
more than watchmen wait for the morning,
more than watchmen wait for the morning.
Israel, put your hope in the Lord,
for with the Lord is unfailing love
and with him is full redemption.
He himself will redeem Israel
from all their sins.

Comments

Popular Posts