Am I A Feminist?

The other day as my daughter and I were driving she was telling me about school and how there was some heated discussion among her and some other girls in her class.  There was discussion going on about some "hot topics," the one's that seem to create anger and division in our country.  There was discussion and debate going on between these girls. Without giving too much information away, it boiled down to my daughter posing ME with a question.  It's a question, ironically, I have been asked many, many times.  "Are you a feminist?"  My daughter asked me the same question many other people have asked me over the years. (and if I'm being honest, a question I have asked myself.)  This seems to be a question I can't get away from.  This seems to be a question, for whatever reason, people want to know the answer to. Most people that know me well enough know I care deeply about women's issues.  I run an organization that fights human trafficking, with our main focus on sex trafficking and sexual exploitation.  And while men and boys most definitely can and do become victims of sex trafficking, statistics tell us approximately 90% of sex trafficking victims worldwide are women and girls.  That's a HUGE percentage of our precious women and girls in slavery today.  Slavery still exists.  Ninety percent of our beautiful women, young and old, that are captives today in the sex trade are forced to meet daily sexual quotas placed upon them by their trafficker.  Forced to have sex over and over and over again so some can get rich, and others can have their sick sexual "desires" met.  There's a need for sex trafficking victims, because there's a demand for them.  If we stop the demand, we can stop the supply.

Needless to say, I suppose that's part of the reason why I get asked the infamous "feminist" question a lot.  However, this time now by my daughter.

Am I a feminist?  I don't know.  Am I??  I love women, and I know I have a heart to see all women set free.  I know I want to see all women healed.  I want to see all women restored and redeemed.  I long to see all women know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Jesus loves them.  Jesus loves you.  I want to see women with an unshakable, unmovable firm foundation in Jesus.  I want to see women with deep roots in Jesus.  I want to see women treated equally in all spheres of life, whether that's in the home, in schools, the workplace or in our churches.  I want to hear about and see more discussion in our churches about equality between men and women.  I want to hear about and see more discussion in our churches about abuse, whether it be domestic violence, emotional abuse or sexual abuse.  I want to hear about and see more awareness work done in our churches on sex trafficking and sexual exploitation.  I want to hear about and see more women stepping into leadership roles in our churches.  I want to see women moving in all of their God-given gifts, whether that be helping in the nursery or preaching; whether that be as an intercessor, moving in the prophetic, teaching our children or the congregation for that matter.  It's happening....and it's coming.  A new season is upon us.  I didn't put this desire for women in my own heart.  This is not a man-made desire.  This is a God-given desire.  God put this heart for women within me.  He's used the things of my past to put an unquenchable desire in me to see all women set free.....because He set me free.  Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." He's used the past hurts, past abuse and past brokenness from my own life to awaken in me a desire to see women fully healed and restored in Jesus.  It's only by and through Jesus that I have been fully healed and restored and it's only by and through Jesus that anyone can be fully healed and restored.

Jesus is for women.  That's why He put this desire on my heart.  That's why you may have this desire on your heart. A book that has impacted my view on feminism is titled, Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey.  In her book, Bessey talks about the baggage the word "feminist" carries, especially in our churches.  See, when we wear the label of a feminist, we can end up being judged, criticized, believed to be pushy, indignant and most often it's viewed as if one is trying to usurp power over another.  I am not sure society has always done a great job of defining what a feminist is.  There's been times I have considered myself a feminist, and there's been times I have personally shunned that label.  I can admit, it's not a label I've necessarily always wanted, and I have been personally cautious in viewing myself this way many times, especially as a woman that's a Follower of Christ.  Maybe it's because I don't fully align myself with the idea of what a feminist looks like or what a feminist believes in, at least from a secular point of view.  But this is how Bessey defines feminism and when I read her definition my heart resonated with it.  She says, "Feminism only means we champion the dignity, rights, responsibilities, and glories of women as equal in importance - not greater than, but certainly not less than - to those of men, and we refuse discrimination against women."  By Bessey's definition, I am a feminist. 

But more importantly I am a woman madly, deeply in love with Jesus. Jesus defines who I am.  There is no other title or label I wear.  I am a Follower of Jesus.  When I die the first thing I want people to say about me and remember about me was that I love Jesus.

I can read all through the New Testament and clearly see how well Jesus loved women. Here's another quote from Bessey from Jesus Feminist and she is talking about exactly that, how Jesus loves women.  She says, "He loves us.  On our own terms.  He treats us as equals to the men around him; he listens; he does not belittle; he honors us; he challenges us; he teaches us; he includes us - calls us all beloved." It goes on to say, "Women were part of Jesus' teaching, part of his life.  Women were there for it all."

Ladies, Jesus loves us!!  He welcomes us.  He enters into the deep places with us.  He calls us to Himself.  He values us.  He calls us worthy.  JESUS WAS AND STILL IS AND WILL FOREVER BE FOR WOMEN!  And He's for men.  He's for us all!!  That's the good news!  It's because of Jesus we can say, "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male or female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."  (Galatians 3:28)


My beautiful daughter, Anna, who I am raising (hopefully in word and action) to be a strong, independent woman who loves Jesus.  My prayer is always that she will be all that God has created her to be, and that she will use the incredible gifts He has given her to glorify Him, and live out His Kingdom on earth as it is in Heaven.  I pray she will change the world and culture around her, and she will be a woman that leads with integrity, love and compassion.
This young woman is a leader!
Do I believe we live in a world where all are equal?  No, of course not.  Is there always equality in our homes, schools, workplaces and churches?  Unfortunately, no, there's not. That's why I do champion the dignity, rights, responsibilities, and glories of women as equal in importance - not greater than, and most certainly not less than - to those of men.  I refuse to discriminate against women of any age, and I will always be an advocate for women and use the voice and gifts the Lord has given me to speak out on behalf of women's rights.  But here's the clincher...I advocate for women from the lens of Jesus. I advocate for girls and women from the lens of what Scripture says. I will never deviate from what God says. I will never deviate from His Word.  Do I still qualify as a feminist?  I think I do.  Maybe I am a Jesus Feminist as Bessey titles her book.  You see, I don't do what I do because I'm a "feminist." I do what I do because I'm a Follower of Jesus and that's what He did!  Jesus was for women long before I came onto this earth. Jesus was an advocate to women long before me. I do what I do because I'm called to be an imitator of Jesus, and Jesus was for women being treated fairly, justly and with equality. Jesus treated women fairly, justly and with equality. Jesus always did and always will champion the dignity, rights, responsibilities, and glories of women as equal in importance.  Read the New Testament!  It's there in plain sight.  

Do I agree with all of the thoughts, beliefs and actions of modern-day feminists? Absolutely not.  And if as a women you look down on me as another women because I believe differently than you do on certain matters, aren't you doing exactly what oppressors are doing?  That would be an oxymoron really.  I am a feminist, but with one Leader that I look to as my example, Jesus. Maybe it's time to redefine what a feminist is. 

Great quote below from Ann Voskamp.  She says, "Christ didn't degrade women in His talk, but He made women heroes of His stories." So from now on when I'm asked, "Are you a feminist," my response will be "Yes, because I'm a follower of Jesus Christ."      

          
              

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts