The Lord is Near



 I don't know about you, but sometimes my mind can feel like a battlefield.  I think this is something we all struggle with at times.  Worry, fear, anxiety...these are just three things that can keep our minds occupied and swirling, which in turn keeps us in bondage.  I know Jesus has grace for us.  I also know He doesn't want the enemy to have a foothold in our lives, which can often come by what we think about and dwell on.  That's why His Word says to not conform to this world, but rather we are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds.  (Romans 12:2)  This is not something we can do without the help of Holy Spirit.  

I was worried about something this morning, and my husband reminded me of Philippians 4:6-7.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, 
which transcends all understanding, 
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

It's a verse we know well, but do we put it into practice?  Here is what I glean from these verses.  First of all...do not be anxious about ANYTHING.  

But Jesus, do you know everything on my plate right now?  Jesus, do you know the things I am struggling with?  Jesus, do you know how much I worry about my kids, family, friends, ministry...and a million other things?  He knows!  He knows the things we are struggling with better than we do.  And He STILL tells us to not be anxious about a thing!  

The next thing I see in these verses, is that in every situation, we are to present our requests to God.  We serve a God that desires relationship with us.  Jesus is a true friend.  He wants us to come to Him with everything.  BUT we are to do this with hearts of thanksgiving.  I don't always have a heart of thanksgiving, if I can be honest.  I don't love this about myself, but there's times I can look at the glass half empty instead of half full.  Maybe this is you too?  However, I can say the longer I have walked with the Lord, the more grateful I've become.  Oh, there is always something to be grateful for!  It has definitely been baby steps for me, but the more the Lord has stripped me of the things of this world over the years, the more I can see how blessed I am.     

When we choose to not be anxious, and with thanksgiving bring every situation, worry, struggle, heartache and pain we have before Him, He promises to give us His peace. Isn't that beautiful?  We don't have to be tossed around by our emotions.  We can be steadfast in Him and the freedom He came to bring us.  

As I was reading these verses this morning, I wanted to read what came before verse 6.  There must be something important to understand before telling us to be anxious about nothing!  And there is!  There is a four word sentence before we are told not to be anxious.  This sentence reads, "The Lord is near."  

He is near to us.  Do we understand how close Jesus is to us?  As close as our breath.  He is within us, and near us.  His presence goes with us.  If we truly walked in this promise, really understood this to the core of our being, I reckon we would not have much to be anxious about.  I know that's my prayer for myself.  That in any situation, I can be confident Jesus is with me.  And if Jesus is with me, whom or what should I ever fear?!  We have the King on our side!  I am praying this for you too.  That today, you would know the Lord is near, and that His peace that passes all understanding would guard your hearts and minds.

As I was thinking about not being anxious and our minds being renewed, I couldn't help but read verse 8 in Philippians 4.   I believe this holds one of the keys to living the life Jesus has called us to...

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, 
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, 
whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."

Jesus, we come with our eyes set on you and with hearts of thanksgiving.  
Thank You for being near.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts