A Seat At The Table




Remember in elementary school when you had recess and were out on the playground, playing a great game of Dodge-ball or Red Rover? So much fun, right? Ah, the good old days, when things seemed simpler, lighter, easier; when time seemed to stand still. It was fun being a kid. But one thing I remember that wasn’t so much fun was being picked for these games. I don’t know about you, but at my school, captains were always picked first...I think they picked themselves actually. Then the rest of us, who didn’t quite have the nerve to pick ourselves as captains, made a long line as the captains picked who they wanted on their teams. One captain picked a person, then the other captain picked a person, and so on and so on until no one was left and both teams were filled. It was a tough few minutes there waiting to hear your destiny of being chosen or not; albeit a short one in those moments before the bell rang and you had to go back into class. Would you be picked 1st, 2nd,10th? The one captain didn’t seem to want you on their team, but surely the other captain would. Or would they? Being picked 1st, 2nd, or 3rd...well that is great! But what is going to happen if I’m picked 9th or 10th, or worse yet, what if I’m picked last? There’s like 25 of us standing in this line!! Nothing could be worse than that...last! Has anyone been there before? Being picked last, or second to last, or anywhere close to last?! Feeling like you aren’t wanted, that you aren’t good enough to be at least in the top five, or the top 15th for that matter. How about when you were looking for a spot to sit and eat your lunch, and you were standing around, lunch in hand, and you surveyed the entire lunch room looking for an empty seat, just somewhere to sit and fit in, and all the tables seem to look full, not just literally full, but even metaphorically speaking, because you knew you just wouldn’t be welcome at certain tables, even if there was a spot open. I have empathy for new students in schools, that first day, standing in the lunch room, not knowing anyone, trying to decide where to go, trying to look for a friendly face and an empty seat at a table. Actually, I have been in this situation as an adult, looking around and wondering where to sit, wondering if there’s room for me at the table, wondering if I find a seat and don’t feel welcome, would that really constitute as a seat at the table??

I have been thinking about this lately. About sitting at the table and what that looks like for us as Followers of Christ.

There’s been many times in my life where I have stood in the line, screaming on the inside, pick me, pick me! Pick me…I want to be on your team! Pick me...I want to be at your table! I want to use my voice at your table! Then once “chosen” I realize, maybe this isn’t the right table for me. Maybe I need to be at another table. And I ask the Lord, why? Why, Lord, would I finally make it to the table, then disqualify my own self from that seat? Why would I choose to disqualify my voice at the table? Will there be another table for me? And just like that He replies, "You are already at the table, my dear one; you are already at the table, and your voice is already being heard."

And just like that….peace. Understanding. Settled. Rest.

I am already at the table. 

I already have a voice. 

I am chosen.

Because of Jesus. 

I don’t have to find it. I don't have to look for it. I don't have to scream on the inside for it.

I am already sitting there, welcomed at the table, talking with the One whose ear is always turned toward me.

"Because He turned His ear to me, I will call on Him as long as I live." 

(Psalm 116:2) 

This is not because of me. This is not because of other people. But because of Him. Christ has given me a seat at the table, His Table, and He has given me a voice to use at His Table. I am on His team! He picked me! Jesus picked me!!

So here’s what I know. When you use your voice for the oppressed and marginalized, you are at the table. When you stop for the one, you are at the table. When you stand in the gap in prayer and intercession, you are at the table. When you quietly serve in your church or in your neighborhood and do the things no one else wants to do, you are at the table. When you are doing the administrative work or keeping the finances in order, you are at the table. Whether you are on the stage singing, or you are singing along in the crowd, you are at the table. Whether you are in the front pew, or you are in the back pew, you are at the table. When people thank you, and when they don't, you are at the table. When you are seen by people, or when you go unnoticed, you are at the table. When you have plenty, or when you are in need, you are at the table. When you are doing great, or when you are struggling, you are at the table. When you are on the mountain top, or when you are in the valley, you are at the table. When you feel great, or when you feel completely broken, you are at the table. Whether you are male or female, you are at the table.  Whether you are black or white, you are at the table.  Whether you are a "leader" or a "lay-person," you are at the table. When you are with the multitude, or when you are alone in the Secret Place, you are at the table.

Here’s why. When you are in Christ, you are forever at the table. When you are in Christ, you have been given access to the table for all eternity, because it’s His Table, and at His Table there’s always room, and you are always welcome, and you always have a seat, and you ALWAYS have a voice! And that’s not something you ever have to doubt! That’s not something anyone else has any control over. You don’t have to depend on anyone to pick you. So here’s the Good News...you can get out of the line!! Jesus already picked you!! You are chosen. You are sitting at the most beautiful table you can imagine, and He set it just for you. And He has given you an incredible voice to use for such a time as this.

Don’t wait for someone to invite you in. Don’t stand in line waiting to be picked. Get out of the line. You already have a seat at the table. You already have a voice. Because of Jesus.

I don't know about you, but there’s no other team I’d rather be on, and there’s no other table I’d rather sit at than His.

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of His holy people in the kingdom of light. (Col. 1:9-12)

Comments

  1. so true Andrea. love how you expressed this truth. I was impacted by this truth as well.
    http://dalecupo.blogspot.com/2017/01/first-choice.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good word, well spoken. Thank you for sharing and for your heart for others. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts